Prothon 0.1.2 is getting close to Alpha [Prothon]

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Mon Jul 12 16:44:06 EDT 2004

Ben wrote:

> As a user of Python who is very interested in Prothon this point is
> very important to me. Thinking about this, does Prothon have a
> mechanism similar to Pythons import hooks, so in a Prothon program
> you could do somthing like
>
> import python
>
> and then be able to import python modules natively. (With automatic
> translation of the builtin types). e.g
>
> import python
> import urllib2
>

> This would greatly increase the uptake and people would be able to
> play around with prothon using libraries that already have and
> understand?

Unfortunately Prothon objects are very different than Python's internally so
automatic translation of libraries will probably never be possible.  Prothon
was never intended to be compatible with Python.  Prothon "steals" most of
Python but is not compatible, just like Python 3 will not be.

There will probably be library equivalents that are close enough to make
porting quite easy though.  The current re library is a good example.  It is
compatible.  Also the Prothon sqlite library uses the Python db protocol.