Prothon 0.1.2 is getting close to Alpha [Prothon]

Ben ben at transversal.com
Mon Jul 12 04:51:59 EDT 2004

Mark Hahn wrote:

> David MacQuigg wrote:
>
>> My big problem remains all the "non-language" defiencies - libraries,
>> textbooks, support community, etc.  For this to happen it has to be an
>> easy jump for Python programmers.  The benefits of removing a bunch of
>> minor flaws in Python will have to exceed the cost of migration.
>
> That will come with time.  You have to have a good new language first
> before you can expect people to help you add support to it.

As a user of Python who is very interested in Prothon this point is very
important to me. Thinking about this, does Prothon have a mechanism similar
to Pythons import hooks, so in a Prothon program you could do somthing like

import python

and then be able to import python modules natively. (With automatic
translation of the builtin types). e.g

import python
import urllib2

This would greatly increase the uptake and people would be able to play
around with prothon using libraries that already have and understand?

Ben
---