Problem with matplotlib

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 30 15:56:31 EDT 2004

    Mathias> Are there precompiled binaries with the agg stuff for
    Mathias> linux as for windows? Or what do I have to install the
    Mathias> agg sources myself (compilation seemed ok, but what
    Mathias> then)?

No precompiled binaries for redhat currently.

agg (http://antigrain.com) is the cornerstone renderer for matplotlib.
It is a 2d drawing library matplotlib uses to make the canvas and then
transfers this image to the GUI canvas.  You don't need to download
anything extra, since agg come with the matplotlib src distribution.
I strongly recommend compiling agg in matplotlib by setting

BUILD_AGG = 1

in setup.py.  You should then be able to use either the tkagg, gtkagg
or wxagg backends, provided you have set BUILD_TKAGG or BUILD_GTKAGG
etc in setup.py, and that you have the required GUI libraries as
described on http://matplotlib.sf.net/backends.html.  On a linux box,
I use gtkagg.  It is fastest and has very good support.

I'll be out of commission moving until Monday.  Until then, you can
always try posting to the matplotlib-users mailing list if you
encounter more troubles.

Good luck!
JDH