Problem with matplotlib

Mathias no_sp at m_please.cc
Fri Jul 30 07:33:22 EDT 2004

Dear NG,

I need to draw a few images in the same window and found matplotlib to
be a very nice tool for my needs (thanks for the hint!).
But I have trouble installing matplotlib on RedHat9 - under XP it runs
just fine. I updated all the indicated packages except the agg package
which I didn't really understand. So output with default setting is:

[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)] on linux2
 >>> from matplotlib.matlab import *
Bad key "toolbar" on line 30 in
/home/franzius/eclipse/workspace/Hierarchical SFA (moving
digits)/.matplotlibrc
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/matplotlib/matlab.py", line
143, in ?
     from backends import new_figure_manager, error_msg, \
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/__init__.py", line
26, in ?
     from backend_gtkagg import error_msg, draw_if_interactive, show,
new_figure_manager
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtkagg.py",
line 16, in ?
     from _gtkagg import agg_to_gtk_drawable
ImportError: No module named _gtkagg

When I change the .matplotlibrc settings to backend: GTK it works but
then I can't reuse the image window as it seems. With WX I cant use imshow()

Are there precompiled binaries with the agg stuff for linux as for
windows? Or what do I have to install the agg sources myself
(compilation seemed ok, but what then)?

Sorry for my confusion and thanks for any help,
   Mathias