Looking for minimal SQL

Paul Miller pwmiller1 at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 1 10:40:27 EDT 2004

Marco Aschwanden <PPNTWIMBXFFC at spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.319.1088667767.27577.python-list at python.org>...
> Hi
>
> I would like to develop an app that is (more or less) database independet.
> Python DB API helps when masking "parameters" of sql statements. The db
> driver cares for the correct conversion of a date, text, etc. This already
> is a big step into the right direction.
>
> The next step would be to use the least common denominator of all sql
> dialects and do without all the sql goodies that the dialects offer... and
> for this part I am wondering if anyone has a link / hint / book that
> assembled this minimum sql. I am looking for something that says for
> example:

I think what you are looking for is the ANSI SQL standard, probably
the SQL-92 version.  However, I think something like PDO (recommended
in another message on this thread) might serve your needs better.
That is, if I understand what PDO does; it seems to me like it does
for database access what wxPython does for GUIs.  If so, then there is
your consistent, multiple-DB compatible syntax, without needing to
cripple performance by dropping to SQL-92 or something.