Printing on Windows

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 08:53:55 EDT 2004

| >| What I want to know is, how do I specify what size paper I
| >| want to print on?
| >
| >Unfortunately, this seems to be more difficult than you
| >might like. When I last looked into it, I gave up trying
| >and cheated (by turning an image round rather than trying
| >to select Landscape).
| >
| >Kevin Cazabon did do some work in this area (Google for
| >ImagePrintWin) but his domain seems to have lapsed. Also,
| >Roger Burnham -- probably more usefully for you at the
| >moment -- has some examples on his page:
| >
| >http://starship.python.net/crew/roger/
| >

| Dang.  As you noted, cazabon.com seems to be out of service.
| Roger Burnham has some good code, but he doesn't address
| my issue either.
|
| I have even tried looking at C programming references for
| Windows, to no avail.  Just how does one choose a papersize
| in C?

OK. Spurred on by your question, I've started to revisit
code I researched at the time. As usual the best sources
for this kind of info are Borland-based sites where they
have loads of experience, but don't assume you're using
Visual C++ (or whatever its successors are called).

Don't have that much time at the mo, but this looks like
a useful series of articles:

http://www.thedbcommunity.com/code/print1.htm

Everything seems to revolve around a DEVMODE structure;
only thing is trying to divorce that from the MFC
infrastructure and the blessed Print Setup dialog, whose
structure you seem to have to evoke even when you don't
have a single visual aspect to your program.

I'm still looking, and I don't have too much time at
the mo, so if you get ahead, please post back.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk