namespace for released packages?

Alex Hunsley lard at tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk
Sun Jul 18 20:20:06 EDT 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Alex Hunsley wrote:
>
>> What is the python convention for namespaces of released packages? In
>> Java you'd write your domain name (if you have one) backwards, this:
>>
>> uk.org.ohmslaw.myPackage
>>
>> ... thus ensuring uniqueness. Is it the same for Python?
>

> No. If a Python library is released as a package, the author choses
> a package name that is unlikely to collide. Typically, such a name
> is readily available, as the project team developing the package has
> found a "product name" already. That product name stays with the package
> even if the affiliation of the authors changes.

So in my case, it would be sufficient to place all my code in a package
named after the product? (in my case, 'Pypreweb', which hasn't been
taken, I've checked.)

> I find the Java convention evil - it brings into source code affiliation
> information which really doesn't belong there. Instead, package authors
> should come up with names that uniquely identify their software in the
> first place.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

I suppose the affiliation information could be a tripping point - e.g.
if someone else takes ownership of the product, the package name (if
derived from a doman name etc) would no longer be appropriate!

alex