namespace for released packages?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 18 16:42:46 EDT 2004

Alex Hunsley wrote:
> What is the python convention for namespaces of released packages? In
> Java you'd write your domain name (if you have one) backwards, this:
>
> uk.org.ohmslaw.myPackage
>
> ... thus ensuring uniqueness. Is it the same for Python?

No. If a Python library is released as a package, the author choses
a package name that is unlikely to collide. Typically, such a name
is readily available, as the project team developing the package has
found a "product name" already. That product name stays with the package
even if the affiliation of the authors changes.

I find the Java convention evil - it brings into source code affiliation
information which really doesn't belong there. Instead, package authors
should come up with names that uniquely identify their software in the
first place.

Regards,
Martin