Interactive Python programming in ... vi [was: Tab wars revisited]

G. S. Hayes sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 11:22:38 EDT 2004

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote in message news:<tyfwu10qycs.fsf at pcepsft001.cern.ch>...

> OK, I've tried it again, and discovered that you can scroll beyond the
> bottom of the screen ... and then some actual information
> appears. Phew, what a relief! (On my previous attempt, I thought that
> that the |python-commands| &co next to the 5 numbered titles were
> links of some sort, and everything I tried resulted in frustration.)

The bits between bars are links to tags.  Use Ctrl-] to follow them
and Ctrl-t to pop back to where you followed from.

For more info, ":help tags"

> > *only works from inside the embedded interpreter
>
> Hmm, that makes me slightly nervous ... do you get to see some
> vi-specefic inerpreter state ... with which you might clash ?

If you use the embedded interpreter you can certainly clash with the
vim internals, that's why I use the vimsh approach (also, using vimsh
allows you to restart the interpreter without restarting the editor).