Problem found with zope

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Jul 30 09:09:26 EDT 2004

[Seb]
> My problem : When you refresh several times my web site the pictures are
> "mixted". I mean on some pictures positions, it is some other pictures that
> are used instead the good ones. It happens at random.

This is a wild stab in the dark, but I have seen this before (not with Zope,
but with a different web server).  The reason was that sometimes the server
would send an HTTP response twice, so over an HTTP/1.1 persistent connection
the requests and replies would get out of sync.  Here's what I mean - say
the requests and responses should have looked like this:

     "Get me spam.gif"       "OK, here is spam.gif"
     "Get me eggs.gif"       "OK, here is eggs.gif"
     "Get me viking.gif"     "OK, here is viking.gif"

you would get this:

     "Get me spam.gif"       "OK, here is spam.gif"
     "Get me eggs.gif"       "OK, here is spam.gif"
     "Get me viking.gif"     "OK, here is eggs.gif"

because the bug meant that the response for spam.gif was sent twice.  The
second response would sit in the socket buffer and be picked up the next
time a request came in over the persistent connection.

Ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/) will easily show you whether this is
happening to you - it's not at all likely, but the symptoms were exactly the
same as you describe.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com