Porting Java web application to Python to make it faster?

Christopher Baus christopher at baus.net
Thu Jul 8 13:13:25 EDT 2004

>> There was thread on a another list that I read like this recently. The
>> difference in performance between Java and python on the web server
>> probably doesn't really matter that much.  If anything I might guess
>> that
>> Java would be faster.  Tons of huge applications are run by Java servers
>> everyday.  A gig of RAM on the server is nothing.
>
> Errr, >>1 GByte just to provide an interactive GUI to something like 5
> users and doing some inter-application communication - I wouldn't really
> consider that as nothing. Especially not if it scales hyper-exponentially
> with the number of users and/or the data volume. After this first
> application, we expect to be able to use the same application for sites
> with something like 100 concurrent users as well.

And python will solve this problem how?

> Hmm, are cs students THAT expensive even as interns? >:->

If the CS students are so cheap, why don't you just have them write it in
the first place.  If the project can be done by CS students why waste your
time on the Java engineers?

>> If the developers are skilled in java, then go with java.  If they
>> prefer
>> python then use it instead.
>
> None of them has ever mentioned Python at all. >:->

If the architecture is the same, Python will likely save you nothing.
Python is a neat language.  I like using it.  But Java really is the big
player in this space, and it works fine.  In many ways I think having a
strongly typed language like Java is better for production than Python,
but I'll leave that argument for another day.

Instead of wasting time having the CS student re-write the app in python,
have him or her look at why the app is slow or using excessive of memory.
That will be time better spent.  The CS student might be less expensive,
but I'm sure your time isn't free either.