Porting Java web application to Python to make it faster?

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Thu Jul 8 08:19:30 EDT 2004

Am Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:10:18 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Christopher Baus:

>> Omit discussion on enterprise application in java or python.

If I had wanted to create a flamewar, I would have cross-posted to
comp.lang.java.* :-)

> Ok, I'll bite.

Thanks for the answer.

> There was thread on a another list that I read like this recently. The
> difference in performance between Java and python on the web server
> probably doesn't really matter that much.  If anything I might guess that
> Java would be faster.  Tons of huge applications are run by Java servers
> everyday.  A gig of RAM on the server is nothing.

Errr, >>1 GByte just to provide an interactive GUI to something like 5
users and doing some inter-application communication - I wouldn't really
consider that as nothing. Especially not if it scales hyper-exponentially
with the number of users and/or the data volume. After this first
application, we expect to be able to use the same application for sites
with something like 100 concurrent users as well.

> The performance problems will result from aggregating content from the
> sources you mention.  My guess is you'll be waiting around for the ERP to
> respond longer than it take will render the pages in either java or
> python.

The point is that this can be worked around by retrieving the data in
background and "caching" it in a local database. Sorry that I didn't
mention this. In fact such a database would have to be part of the
application, as some of the communication with other applications will have
to be offline, in "batch" mode, in both directions (get as well as put).

> In my opinion it would be a waste of money to redo this in python.

Hmm, are cs students THAT expensive even as interns? >:->

> If the developers are skilled in java, then go with java.  If they prefer
> python then use it instead.

None of them has ever mentioned Python at all. >:->

Best regards,

Wolfgang Keller