Interactive Python programming in ... vi [was: Tab wars revisited]

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Thu Jul 15 12:32:13 EDT 2004

On 2004-07-15, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> Reading is not my problem; navigating through it in vim is.

    Huh.  vim was actually exceptionally easy for me to pick up on.  Maybe the
problem lay with you?

> Please follow up to alt.religion.editors, if you want to continue in
> this vein. If you have something constructive to say, please follow up
> here.

    Ah.  I see.  You get to be a zealot here but someone takes you to task and
they have to go elsewhere.  Howsabout *you* be constructive first?

> Tell me are you deliberately failing to notice the humour of my statement,

    Might've been funny about 10 years ago when it was coined.  Not it is just
trite.  Sad part is many emacs zealots really do say that and mean it.

> I would normally think it's because vi users are too stupid in general, were
> it not for the fact that it is vi users who invented the "I want an editor,
> not an operating system" argument to level against Emacs. Your credibility
> as a vi bigot has been pulverized.

    Too bad I'm not a vi bigot, huh?  Let's see I've recently mentioned
kdevelop3 and boa-constructor to someone, use boa-constructor myself, have
used dozens of editors in the past.

    An no, wasn't enough smileys because every single was was disingenuous.