Interactive Python programming in ... vi [was: Tab wars revisited]

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Thu Jul 15 05:18:21 EDT 2004

Steve Lamb <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> writes:

> On 2004-07-15, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> >>   Complex way: :help python, and read.
>
> > Sorry, too complex for me. I'll try to find a vim user and try to work
> > out with him, whether this is of any use.
>
>     Nice way to lose credibility.  Heaven forbid you'd actually have to *READ*
> something.

Reading is not my problem; navigating through it in vim is.

> > And probably never will be. My operating system (Emacs) comes with an
> > excellent, fully integrated editor. I have no need for vi.

Sorry, forgot, this is usenet. I should have added ":-)".

>     Uh-huh.  So, what're the instructions to boot to Emacs.  Don't worry,
> unlike you I'm perfectly willing to accept a pointer to something I'd have to
> read.  Of course knowing full well ya can't boot a computer to Emacs since it
> isn't an OS might have something to do with that.  I'd say your credibility's
> pretty much shot.  But then that's par for course coming from am Emacs zealot.

Nice try.

Please follow up to alt.religion.editors, if you want to continue in
this vein. If you have something constructive to say, please follow up
here.

But given that you're taking pot-shots at me (and the editor I use),
let me fire one back: Tell me are you deliberately failing to notice
the humour of my statement, or has using vi damaged your brain so much
that you genuinely are too stupid to see it as such. I would normally
think it's because vi users are too stupid in general, were it not for
the fact that it is vi users who invented the "I want an editor, not
an operating system" argument to level against Emacs. Your credibility
as a vi bigot has been pulverized. You really use ed, don't you ? :-)
for you? got the message?)

Now that we've got that bit of fun out of the way, could we, please,
return to the scheduled programme ?