[OT] SciTE configuration for Python help [WAS] Re: what editor do you use?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 3 05:30:52 EDT 2004

Brian van den Broek:

> On the strength of a few posts to the now-highjacked thread I grabbed
> SciTE. It looks very promising. I know from reading the docs and looking
> at the config files that I should be able to configure it so that, when
> editing a .py file, F1 opens the Python documentation and passes the word
> at the caret as an argument. The problem is I don't know enough to be able
> to correctly interpret the docs instructions (I am not a hacker ;-) Could
> a SciTE fan tell me what I have to add to my config files?

   There is a SciTE mailing list at
http://mailman.lyra.org/mailman/listinfo/scite-interest

   You can try to set your properties similar (based on where you have
installed Python) to

command.help.*.py=$(CurrentWord)!G:\Python23\Doc\Python23.chm
command.help.subsystem.*.py=4

   Most of the time this needs a separate press of the Enter key or
selection from a list of topics after the documenation has been activated.

   Neil