[OT] SciTE configuration for Python help [WAS] Re: what editor do you use?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 2 21:28:59 EDT 2004

Jon Perez said unto the world upon 02/07/2004 16:18:

> SciTE is the editor I have been looking for all these
> years.
>
> I use it for everything these days (Python, Spyce, PHP,
> Java, C#, C/C++, etc...) except when I have to work from
> a command line terminal in which case I use vim.
>
> The thing with SciTE is that most of the powerful features
> are neatly tucked away until you enable them so it may
> look deceptively spartan at first.
>
> Some of the highlights:
>
> * The code folding is superb - it even folds HTML!
> * rectangular highlighting is as easy as ALT-mouse drag
> * only editor I know of which syntax highlights Javascript,
>   HTML + PHP or Python simultaneously - in the same file!
> * Can call external utilities.  I use it with Astyle and
>   HTML Tidy.  One click reformatting of source code.
> * No compulsory learning of a whole bunch of convoluted
>   key-combinations
> * powerful regex search and replace
> * pretty wide support for syntax-highlighting different
>   languages (can write your own lexer)
> * so much more...

<SNIP>

Hi all,

this is about SciTE rather than Python, but I'm hopeful that the [OT]
warning and the recent discussion of SciTE on this thread make that OK.
Apologies if not.

On the strength of a few posts to the now-highjacked thread I grabbed
SciTE. It looks very promising. I know from reading the docs and looking
at the config files that I should be able to configure it so that, when
editing a .py file, F1 opens the Python documentation and passes the word
at the caret as an argument. The problem is I don't know enough to be able
to correctly interpret the docs instructions (I am not a hacker ;-) Could
a SciTE fan tell me what I have to add to my config files?

Many thanks,

Brian vdB