Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Thu Jul 8 09:26:09 EDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Eric Brunel wrote:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
>
> > Hmm, yes, although the official GUI toolkit (tkinter) is cumbersome,
>
> Obviously depends on who's talking: I personnaly always found *other* GUI
> toolkits cumbersome (I've tested wxPython and PyQT)

Seconded. Only in Tkitner can you write a (legible) one-liner Hello World:

import Tkinter
Tkinter.Label(text='Hello, world!').pack()

> > doesn't look so great on the screen,
>
> It seems to be the general opinion, but there is some work to make it better on
> the tcl/tk side; see http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/Home

On Win32, Tk uses the native widgets, so it looks just as pretty (?) as
any other Win32 app.

> > and is poorly documented.
>
> No it isn't;

Also seconded. It's also a lot easier to follow Tk's Tcl documentation
than GTK or Qt's C documentation.