Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Thu Jul 8 04:41:02 EDT 2004

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Charif Lakchiri" <charif at kuc.biglobe.ne.jp> writes:[snip]
[snip]
>>Does it support GUI programming?

Sorry: I couldn't resist:

> Hmm, yes, although the official GUI toolkit (tkinter) is cumbersome,

Obviously depends on who's talking: I personnaly always found *other* GUI
toolkits cumbersome (I've tested wxPython and PyQT)

> doesn't look so great on the screen,

It seems to be the general opinion, but there is some work to make it better on
the tcl/tk side; see http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/Home

> and is poorly documented.

No it isn't; there are a lot of Tkinter resources around, not to mention plain
tk ones. I do agree that they may be hard to find, but they exist. The docs for
the other toolkits I've tried were usually worse than the ones for Tkinter
(things may have improved for wxPython, since I tested it quite a while ago)