IronPython-0.6 is now available!

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 13:58:13 EDT 2004

flacco <flacco003 at spambadTwilight-systems.com> wrote:

> > IronPython is currently at a pre-alpha stage suitable for
> > experimentation but not for serious development work.

Yeah, very pre-alpha from the few tests I did, but I'm very excited
about this, especially as it seems the Parrot guys have given up on
Python :-(

> "After exploring many alternatives, I think that I've found the ideal
> way to continue working to realize the amazing potential of the vision
> of the CLR. I've decided to join the CLR team at Microsoft beginning on
> August 2.

Hopefully IronPython will still be *developed* as opensource, or is
this release a last-ditch opensource version, before it is owned by
MS?

I think even I would be tempted to buy "Visual Python.NET" or whatever
it becomes, if it could make standalone CLR .exe's, especially if it
had wx# bindings not just WinForms/GTK#, but I'd prefer an opensource
effort (don't want the Linux/mono version to die).

> "At Microsoft I plan to continue the work that I've begun with
> IronPython to bring the power and simplicity of dynamic/scripting
> languages to the CLR."

I hope this doesn't mean abandoning Python for other scripting
languages.

I think Python on the CLR would be a very nice competitor to Java for
MS.