Typed Python?

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Tue Jul 6 15:01:52 EDT 2004

On Ter 06 Jul 2004 15:45, Ville Vainio wrote:

> If you recall, we've got == for comparison in Python and most of the
> programming world. There is no ambiguity. x=10 syntax is just
> impossible in Scheme without read macro hackery, because of the
> s-expression syntax (which does have some virtues).

I agree, but usig "==" is unnatural and computer specific. (I'm not saying
that the scheme approach is better.)

Anyway, this is one thing where the s-exp seems less ambiguous. That was my
only point in the message.

> Yes, the Legend of Sir Graham. Lisp does need another success story,
> public gets suspicious when the same one is repeated over and over
> again.

I agree with you.

The same happens for Python and other languages equally powerful.

> (No, I'm not implying that Lisp is not being used for real [as in
> non-academic] work. It is, Scheme isn't).

I guess it all depends on what is "real" for you. For me, academia is as
real as the business and commercial world. It is more tolerant, sometimes,
but both worlds have its peculiarities. And in academia you are evaluated
by people with much more skills and experience than you, for colleagues,
for other people. In the commercial world, people usually deliver closed
source, i.e., nobody can evaluate if you did it the best way or if you
cheated to get the answer you thought were right.

Be seeing you,
--
Godoy.      <godoy at ieee.org>