Getting information from OS

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Jul 22 14:53:09 EDT 2004

vincent wehren wrote:

> Skulled2003 at netscape.net wrote:
>
>>    I think i made a mistake in putting my question the way i did.
>> When i said languages i meant, natural languages (English, French
>> etc) and not programming languages.
>>
>>   I am building an application with Tkinter as the GUI toolkit. Now
>> in one of my dialogs, i want the user to have an option to retrieve
>> some string in any language of his/her choice. So instead of
>> providing a static list of different natural languages, i would
>> prefer to present the user with only options which can be
>> relaistically displayed on his/her system under the current settings
>> without needing to have to download anything extra.
>

> Since you're using Tkinter bith Tkinter + Python know about Unicode,
> you can
> basically *output* any known language without much problem (as long as
> the OS has got a suitable
> font to render it).

I suppose it might make some sense for an application to have
internationalization strings for a large list of languages, and then
(for example) not offer the option of setting a language for which there
is no appropriate font installed -- e.g., only allowing the user to
select Chinese if the computer has fonts that support Chinese.

I don't believe that there's a good way to determine this, though,
especially not in a cross-platform sort of way.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International