Creating object attributes

Larry Bates lbates at swamisoft.com
Thu Jul 22 17:55:13 EDT 2004

I think we have all done something like what you have done.

I have the class create the attributes dynamically.
Something like (not tested).  I'm leaving the fixed record
parsing to you.

class FixedLengthRecord:
    def __init__(self, fields):
        self.fields=fields
        for field in fields:
            self.append(field
)
        return

    def __getitem__(self, key):
        try: return self.__dict__[key]
        except:
            print "Field name '%s' not found in current record" % key
            return None

    def __setitem__(self, key, value):
        if self.__dict__.has_key(key): self.__dict__[key]=value
        else:
            print "Field name '%s' not found in current record" % key
            return

    def __call__(self, key):
        try: return self.__dict__[key]
        except:
            print "Field name '%s' not found in current record" % key
            return None

    def append(self, field, value=None):
        if not self.__dict__.has_key(field): self.__dict__[field]=value
        else:
            print "Field name '%s' already found in current record" % key
            return

Then you can do:

myFields = ('first_name', 'last_name')
record=FixedLengthRecord(myFields)
record.append('address')

then these statements work

record.first_name="Greg"
record.last_name="Lindstrom"
record.address="123 Morning Glory Lane"

and

print record('first_name') outputs in "Greg"

Eliminates need for .set and .get methods and grows fieldnames
dynamically.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

news:mailman.726.1090528236.5135.python-list at python.org...