Why would I learn Python over other languages?

phil hunt zen19725 at zen.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 15:50:13 EDT 2004

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 06:10:32 GMT, Anthony Roberts <acrobert-at-ucalgary-dot-ca at ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>I was ready to write a long response, but then I realized that all you
>probably need to know is speed. As in, how fast can I learn this?
>
>Java will take you months to get good, years if you don't know any other
>languages yet. It will take books, large time investments, lots of
>busywork as you get comfortable with stuff, and lots of false starts as
>you discover new parts of the API. You can be good at Python in weeks.
>
>The Java API dwarfs anything else I know. There are literally thousands
>of classes. I know the API well enough to make experienced programmers
>go "Woah! I never knew Java could do that!" and I still sometimes find
>it easier to write my own stuff than go looking for it in the docs. It's
>intimidating to newcomers, and it should be. It's pretty clean, but it's
>vast beyond any one person's ability to grasp.
>
>Python can do everything Java can do, but you can eyeball the whole
>module list every time you're trying to figure something out.

I find that Python's library does as much as Java's but with less
classes. python's libraryu focusses on gettinbg the job done,
whereas I find java's library to be pedantic and irritating.

--
"It's easier to find people online who openly support the KKK
than people who openly support the RIAA" -- comment on Wikipedia