Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Thu Jul 8 17:25:59 EDT 2004

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 06:10:32 GMT, Anthony Roberts <acrobert-at-ucalgary-dot-ca at ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> I was ready to write a long response, but then I realized that all you
> probably need to know is speed. As in, how fast can I learn this?
>
> Java will take you months to get good, years if you don't know any other
> languages yet. It will take books, large time investments, lots of
> busywork as you get comfortable with stuff, and lots of false starts as
> you discover new parts of the API. You can be good at Python in weeks.
> To put it in perspective, I learned Java 3 years before Python. It was
> my language of choice. It took me two weekends with Python before I was
> more productive with it than with Java.

I second that. The thing I find remarkable about Python is precisely that:
that learning the language is a very small investment.

Just sit down over the weekend with docs.python.org, a Python installation
and a text editor with good Python support. By Monday you may not need to
make a decision ...

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@      ''If All Men Were Brothers,
\X/                algonet.se>    Would You Let One Marry Your Sister?''