Python on Zaurus (was Re: Python with PalmOS: anything newer than the 1.5.2 PipPy?)

Michael Ressler ressler at cheetah.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 9 14:14:10 EDT 2004

On 2004-07-09, Paul Rubin <> wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>> Michael, or anyone else who's lucky enough to have one of these babies,
>> have you by any chance tried running PySerial?  I think the Linux
>> version rides purely on top of standard Linux serial port stuff,
>> but I don't know enough about the Zaurus yet to know if it looks
>> like "standard Linux" in this area.  (It _does_ have a serial port
>> somewhere in there, doesn't it?)
>
> There's a USB client port and a serial port on the same connector.

I haven't tried (no need/interest), but you might poke around at
zaurususergroup.com, if you are not already familiar with that site. I
know discussions of the serial port have come up wrt programming,
though probably C++, not Python. As for the "linuxness" of the Zaurus,
gcc thinks it looks like "linux2", all the usual /dev stuff is there
(e.g. /dev/ttyS0), so I would rashly predict that PySerial should
work.

Mike