Python on Zaurus (was Re: Python with PalmOS: anything newer than the 1.5.2 PipPy?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 9 15:11:57 EDT 2004

Michael Ressler wrote:

> On 2004-07-09, Paul Rubin <> wrote:
>
>>Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>>
>>>Michael, or anyone else who's lucky enough to have one of these babies,
>>>have you by any chance tried running PySerial?
>>There's a USB client port and a serial port on the same connector.
>
> I haven't tried (no need/interest), but you might poke around at
> zaurususergroup.com, if you are not already familiar with that site. I
> know discussions of the serial port have come up wrt programming,
> though probably C++, not Python. As for the "linuxness" of the Zaurus,
> gcc thinks it looks like "linux2", all the usual /dev stuff is there
> (e.g. /dev/ttyS0), so I would rashly predict that PySerial should
> work.

Thanks, Michael.  I inspired myself to go and check out the
Zaurus some more, noting (and remembering sadly) that it's not
available in Canada yet, and also that the 6000 seems to be
the one getting pushed now (wisely so, with the WLAN support).

I did find some stuff in a FAQ or somewhere about configuring
the serial port, and between that and a half dozen other
references I feel pretty confident that as you predict, it
would all work perfectly well.

Now if I can just stall till the price drops to C$500 or so
(by which time Sharp might even have noticed that there is
in fact a country called Canada, with people willing to give
them money), I can finally replace my Palm V and get productive
again...

-Peter