FTP transfert

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 14 08:07:08 EDT 2004

Antoine Logean <al at biolinux.ch> writes:

>Hi,

>Why connection.sendcmd('ls') does not work ? the same for
>connection.sendcmd('LIST') ? 'ls' is a valid ftp command. In the RFC of
>FTP the commands are differents as the one I use every day : no get,
>mget, put, mput, ... but LIST, RETR, ... what is the difference ?

The RFC commands constitute the protocol between FTP servers/clients and are
specified (reasonably) exactly to get good interworking between different
implementations.  The dir, ls, get etc commands constitute the user interface
and are modelled on what a user on that system might expect to know.  The
Python library, unusually for Python, does not do much in the way of hiding
the protocol level commands.  Perhaps there are some 3rd party addons to add a
more user friendly level, the vaults of Parnassus
(http://www.vex.net/parnassus/) seems to have some promising libraries.

Eddie