distutil and debugging

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Sun Jul 4 02:01:32 EDT 2004

Jesper Olsen wrote:
> [...] No - that does not change the options. I think it only links against a version
> of the python lib, which has been compiled for debugging.
>
> However, I want to debug my own extention - not the python interpretor.
>
> I'm not the first to have this problem:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/35ddd
>
> but that solution only works for the windows environment.
> I'm on OpenBSD, and would prefer to stay there also while debugging...

I don't think that's relevant here. To be honest, I didn't need to add
any flags on Linux to debug my extensions. -g always gets added there
automatically.

Perhaps this comment from distutils/unixcompiler.py will help you fixing
your build environment:

#   * optimization/debug/warning flags; we just use whatever's in Python's
#     Makefile and live with it.  Is this adequate?  If not, we might
#     have to have a bunch of subclasses GNUCCompiler, SGICCompiler,
#     SunCCompiler, and I suspect down that road lies madness.

Maybe your OpenBSD Python was compiled without -g and thus your
extensions are compiled without -g as well.

-- Gerhard