Interactive Python programming in ... vi [was: Tab wars revisited]

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Jul 12 10:57:40 EDT 2004

Chris Share <usenet at caesium.me.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:36:05 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> > I'm actually pretty inept with vi (or vim), to the point that I don't
> > actually know how to configure it for use with Python.
>
> FYI, it's pretty simple...
>
> I use vim for writing python in, with the following options:
> :set et
> :set tabstop=4

And how do I get it to send the function definition surrounding the
cursor to the Python interpreter with which it is currently
interacting ?

(Only half joking ... if there is a way to make vi(m) provide the same
interactive capabilities that Emacs does, then I would be able to
recommend it to those who insist on using vi in my courses and end up
trailing the rest of the class and slowing us all down.)