Porting Java web application to Python to make it faster?

Rick Lawson r_b_lawson at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 08:48:16 EDT 2004

Disclaimer: I love Python but write Java webapps (mainly Struts) for a
living.

I don't think the problem is Java, server side it is very fast. With a
good data access layer and caching (like Hibernate) I think that a
Java webapp will be hard to beat. Sounds like the problem is the
design decision to emulate a rich desktop app as a web based app.
Since this is an internal app you may want to suggest a desktop client
(either  Java or Python based) communicating via Soap or xmlrpc. The
nice thing about doing an rich client app in Java for a limited
audience is you can Webstart it which makes for painless deployment.
On the other hand, I've had good luck writing wxPython based rich
clients and using Inno Setup to deliver a clickable installer.

Good luck,
Rick