Pyrex without Python (was Re: calling Pyrex results from C)

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Jan 20 20:41:29 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 05:29:02PM -0800, Paul Prescod wrote:
> What exactly would Pyrex buy you if you can't afford to
> use its high-level features like memory management, constructors and OO?

Two reasons, both of them tongue in cheek:

1. my {} keys are broken, so it's perfect to not use C and to use an
environment where I can't use dicts either
2. the people programming small machines are all out do to crazy stuff,
and so programming mine in "Python" (pyrex) would be along those lines.

The closest to a real reason would be along the lines of 1, the pleasure
of avoiding the C syntax.  But since I write enough C/C++ at work that
I'll never stop being familiar with it, that isn't too important for me.

Seriously, it's probably not that useful.  But it is something that's
been bubbling around in my skull off and on.

Jeff