Distributing Python programs

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jan 28 09:27:58 EST 2004

NEWS wrote:

> Can I install Python on a networked server and have any user run Python
> programs without having to go through the 9Mb client install?

Yes, we run dozens of machines from a single network installation.
Depending on what extensions you need to install (e.g. win32all) you may
need to make some small manual adjustments to get it to work, but
in essence you can just do a "non-admin" local install, then copy the
entire directory tree to the network.

> What are my options for distributing Python programs to my users?

py2exe: http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

the Macmillan Installer: http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/installer_dnld.html

etc...

-Peter