Python And Internationalization maybe a pre-pep?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 10 17:46:03 EST 2004

Brian Kelley:

> I made a new python string type and got enough working on the parser to
> accept
>
> string = i"whatever"

   I would not like to see strings gain more interpretation prefix
characters without very strong justification as the combinational growth
makes code interpretation more difficult. The "i" would need to be used in
conjunction with the "u" or "U" Unicode prefix and possibly the "r" or "R"
raw prefix.

   The order of interpretation here is reasonably obvious as the
internationalization would be applied after the treatment as Unicode and
raw. However, when used in conjunction with other proposed prefix characters
such as for variable interpolation, the ordering becomes more questionable.

   Neil