PEP 327: Decimal Data Type

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Fri Jan 30 22:01:27 EST 2004

Stephen Horne wrote:

> I don't know what the solution should be, but I do think it needs to
> be considered.

The C and C++ people have agreed.  The next standards for those
languages, whenever they come out, are supposed to include decimal
floating point as a standard data type.   The number of decimal
places required is also profuse, something up around 25-30 places,
more than current hardware, eg IBM mainframes, supports.

If python adds decimal data, it probably ought to be consistent with C
and C++.  Otherwise, the C and C++ guys will have a dreadful time
writing emulation code to run on computers built to support python.

Al