wxpython and wxlocale

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jan 27 17:31:04 EST 2004

"Ya" <tmartinez at ammsoft.com> writes:

> This is my code:
> The button of "OK" is not translated.
> What is wrong ?

I believe this was discussed recently on the wxPython list.  Under
Windows, wxMessageDialog creates a native Windows dialog, so
wxPython/wxWindows is not in control of the basic dialog buttons (such
as OK).  They are therefore under control of the OS as far as
internationalization goes, and will only obey the system settings.

So if you need to operate in a localized setting other than that of
the host operating system, I'm guessing you're best bet is to make
your own dialog box rather than using wxMessageDialog.

To add to the complexity (if I recall correctly), wxMessageDialog is
implemented by wxWindows itself under Linux/GTK, so you don't see the
same problem there.  Clearly not an ideal situation, but one of the
wrinkles that comes from trying to use native widgets on a platform
when available.

The wxPython list is probably a better place to get further details.

-- David