Secure Voting software

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 21 19:35:51 EST 2004

    allen> Listening to National Public Radio while reading
    allen> comp.lang.python. What a life!  I just heard a piece on NPR about
    allen> the security failures of an electronic voting system being
    allen> developed. I know a voting system could be developed in python. I
    allen> am working on a simulator myself to run via the web (a personal
    allen> project only)

    allen> Are there any features which would make python a viable
    allen> alternative to develop a real voting system for use in the US?
    allen> Why or why not?

    allen> What things must I keep in mind when I design a python
    allen> application to be secure?

    allen> Since python is developed using C, can python be free from the
    allen> buffer overrun problems which plague other C programs?

Yes, to a great extent, because you need to find buffer overrun
possibilities in the Python interpreter, but not in every Python
application.

As for voting projects, check out:

    http://gnosis.python-hosting.com/voting-project/

Python is the development language I believe.  I haven't followed it in a
couple months.

Skip