Secure Voting software

Mark Jackson mjackson at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 21 22:35:45 EST 2004

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
> piedmontbiz at aol.com (PiedmontBiz) writes:
> > What things must I keep in mind when I design a python application to be
> > secure?
> >
> > Since python is developed using C, can python be free from the
> > buffer overrun problems which plague other C programs?
>
> Buffer overruns are just one narrow type of security failure.
> Security is really a hard subject and even systems built by experts
> often have security holes.  There are various books written on how to
> write secure software, and also some HOWTO's.  For systems like voting
> machines, there are a lot of non-software issues you have to deal with too.
>
> The book "Security Engineering" by Ross Anderson is a good place to start
> reading if you're interested in the subject.

Many of the issues have been discussed on comp.risks over the years,
and the archives of same contain some useful pointers to in-depth
analyses.  A searchable archive is found at http://www.risks.org.

	No *good* model ever accounted for *all* the facts, since
	some data was bound to be misleading if not plain wrong.
					- James D. Watson