any news client in Python?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sun Jan 25 13:38:31 EST 2004

Quoth davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk (David Boddie):
| I wrote my own newsreader for a minority platform, too:
|
|     http://www-solar.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~davidb/Software/Python/NewsRead/
|
| There are probably others lurking in FTP archives.
|
| I have to admit that my own attempt isn't exactly the best example you
| could hope for. My excuse is that I had to create my own widget set at
| the same time as writing the application. If I still had to use it, I
| would probably rewrite it, or at least refactor it severely.

That's my story too, but the way I deal with it is to present my
BeOS newsreader and IMAP email reader as a demo application for the
widget set, hence a built-in excuse for its lameness.  I never even
got around to the "add group" interface you show there.  A really good
newsreader is a lot of work (and of course its users are by definition
the USENET crowd, not people you want to have to deal with!)  But it
wasn't much of an issue, because each BeOS user tended to write his
own newsreader for some reason - much easier to tolerate the defects
of your own software, I suppose.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com