Seem to be having trouble with Python/Bethon.

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sat Jan 24 01:45:02 EST 2004

Quoth Zoo Keeper <candiazoo at comcast.net>:
| No takers, eh?  :/
|
| I can't be the only python user on BeOS...
|
| The only thing I can think of is that I am running "bone".

Well, at least now we know one thing about your setup.

In later versions, a Python class can definitely inherit
from BWindow.  If you have the 0.5.1 distribution, the
programs in "test" do it that way, and they work.  Earlier
versions, before 0.5.0, can't do this (and neither can
older versions of Python.)  It is certainly possible to
mess up the BeOS libraries while trying to improve them,
though, as demonstrated by the 3rd party "Developer Edition".
That certainly could be your problem.

You're not the only Python user on BeOS, but they are few.
Given the level of general interest, I think you'd have
better odds posting to comp.sys.be.programmer.

As for what I read as your implicit question, will you be
sorry you chose to develop your application in Python with
a Bethon UI - it depends on the details.  The functions
available here are numerous but not nearly the whole Be API,
and there are whole areas of functionality that it will
probably never get into.  It's pretty useful for casual
stuff, but probably not for real hard core polished
applications.  Distribution will be a harder, too, than
a straight C++ program.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com