Python for Embedded Devices?

Phil Schmidt phil_nospam_schmidt at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 18:37:46 EST 2004

claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote in message news:<vvdl0nbogvm74 at corp.supernews.com>...

> The one point I'd emphasize when thinking about this
> is that "embedded devices" covers a wide range, as I
> believe you already know.  Some developers commonly
> work with hardware that's far, far more constrained
> than are cellular telephones; others, who also program
> embedded devices, can't be distinguished from vanilla
> Linux coders.

I am one such developer who works with very small systems: 8-bit
micros with under 128K flash and 4K RAM. I am keenly interested in
Python or some other similar langauge that would run on such hardware.
'C' is the usual language for such environments, but I believe that,
in many cases, using a dynamic and 'object-able' language would reduce
development time and improve product quality significantly.

I've looked at Io, Lua, PyMite and Pippy, to name a few, and none are
quite appropriate. Io is perhaps the closest match, if it were
stripped down a lot.

I have been tinkering around with some ideas to make a new language to
fit the environment I deal with. This is slow work, as I haven't a lot
of time to spend on it, and I am not a language design expert, but I'm
having fun with it!