Python for Embedded Devices?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sat Jan 3 13:01:10 EST 2004

In article <425cc8d1.0401030826.59a9d4ca at posting.google.com>,
mir nazim <mir4uu at yahoo.com> wrote:
			.
>It should possible to create complete J2EE like platform for python
>for creating complex applications. [ i m no expert. lokking for a
>simple discussion.]

This thread interests me, if only because you and the original
poster have such different perspectives from mine.  I'm confi-
dent that Python can support something like J2EE in a technical
sense, and also that J2EE is an important part of Java--but is
it a *good* part?  I'm sincerely unconvinced that there's much
there Python *should* emulate (apart from what Python already
has).  J2EE's certainly a marketing success; I don't know what
it teaches us about how to rationalize application development,
though.

I'm even more certain that there's no model in prospect for
organizing the current Python development team to create such
a framework.

Briefly, I see J2EE, like .NET, as aimed at the commodification
of application development.  It's aimed at "Enterprise" teams
of mediocre, alienated coders.  I have no enthusiasm for Python
competing with that approach.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net