Python as a numerical prototyping language.

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 14:02:39 EST 2004

Lonnie Princehouse wrote:

> About a year ago, I attempted to answer the question "Can Python
> replace Matlab?" for my workplace.  The conclusion was "Not quite
> yet", for two reasons.
>
> The first was purely human: Matlab is entrenched, and there's always
> resistance to change (note: lots of people here still swear by Fortran
> '77).
>
> The second reason: there's no unified Python environment that gives
> you easy access to plotting capability and an interpreter, a la
> Matlab.  Python has the ability to do everything Matlab can (and much
> more!) but it still requires just enough expertise to find, install,
> and learn the various scipy and plotting modules that only the
> early-adopter types are willing to do it.

<plug>
While I completely agree with you that it still requires a fair amount of
manual labor to get a nice scientific python environment going, you may want
to take a look at ipython at http://ipython.scipy.org.  It tries to provide as
good of an interactive shell as is feasible, along with improving on the
default Gnuplot support which Gnuplot.py provides (basically giving simpler
syntax for the plotting commands).  With its concept of profiles, you can
simply say

ipython --profile numeric

and have a command-line shell which preloads a complete matlab-like
environment.  It's not perfect, but users seem to like it.
</plug>

Regards,

Fernando.