Problems with python23_d.lib built with Visual Studio 7.1

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Jan 30 18:37:06 EST 2004

Paton J. Lewis wrote:

> I built the Python 2.3.3 sources with Visual Studio 7.1 (the
> conversion of the Visual C++ 6 project files appeared to work
> without a hitch). Everything seems fine except when I try to link my
> project with the debug Python library, in which case I get
> unresolved symbols apparently because the Python debug library
> symbol names have been modified in an unexpected fashion. For
> example, the calling code asks for symbol __imp__Py_InitModule4
> (which exists in python23.lib) but python23_d.lib contains
> __imp__Py_InitModule4TraceRefs. Has anyone run into this problem
> before?

It sounds to me like you are trying to link your non-debug built
extension module with a debug built Python.  A debug built extension
module will not have a reference to __imp__Py_InitModule4.

Make sure the code you are trying to link against Python23_d.dll is
compiled with /DDEBUG /D_DEBUG and /MDd.

Mark.