easiest transition for a PHP website to move to Python?

Diez B. Roggisch deets_noospaam at web.de
Fri Jan 30 11:39:27 EST 2004

> I've got a database-driven website that's written entirely in PHP.
>
> It's all pretty MVC : NOT embedded little calls inside HTML, but
> rather little controller apps in the webroot that merge data with
> HTML templates on the fly.
>
> But for various reasons (mostly fun) I want to rewrite it in Python.
>
> There are so many different approaches, though!  Zope, Twisted,
> mod_python, clearsilver, and all the goodies in standard library.

Regardless my answer to Lothar's posting (which is about zope not beeing
python), I agree with him that webware appears to be close to what you are
expecting from a web-framework. So the transition to webware might be the
easiest, if you want to do it as straight-forward  as possible. Mind you, I
never worked with webware so far, but it looks promising.

However, ZOPE has a different approach. Its outstanding feature is the
built-in database ZODB. This is a hierarchical strucured object-orientied
database with versioning. It stores everything - app-logic, templates and
data. Together with CMF/Plone or ZMS, there exist nice and clean
dublin-core aware data-from-layout-abstractions. Setting up a blog or even
much more complicated, content driven website is only a matter of a few
clicks. All editing of content is done via the webbrowser, and as zope
comes with its own user-model, its easy for you as admin to create new
accounts and grant fine-grained access to your sites for their respective
authors/editors/whatever.

So I would definitly advise you to take a look at zope - install it and play
around with it, especially with plone or zms.

But as said before - if you are actually seeking for the smoothest
transition, you might be better off with webware.

Regards,

Diez