Databases: Which one's right for me?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 10:45:56 EST 2004

[Aaron Watters]
> Reading the blog it seems you are right.  I wish zodb would be
> a bit more careful in its claims.  When you say "zodb supports
> the ACID properties of transactions" this has a precise meaning
> which vanishes when you redefine all the letters.

I haven't made a claim about what ZODB does, I've just pointed you to what
others have said about it.  I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but
guess it's probably taken from:

    http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage/guide/node3.html

If so, the meanings it intends for each letter are given there.  I don't
think its

    Isolation
        means that two programs or threads running in two different
        transactions cannot see each other's changes until they
        commit their transactions.

misrepresents what ZODB does.

> In particular it suggests that zodb would be good for something
> like an accounting or banking application which would require strict
> transaction isolation (serializability).  The looser definition
> could lead to fairly unpleasant difficulties (law suits, jail
> time...). Sorry, had to complete my thought on clp.

Would the text above imply "strict transaction isolation (serializability)"
to such a programmer?  If so, it probably ought to change.