Databases: Which one's right for me?

Aaron Watters aaron at reportlab.com
Mon Jan 12 09:58:28 EST 2004

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.285.1073872919.12720.python-list at python.org>...
> [Aaron Watters]
> > Does zodb support the strictest isolation levels?
>
> I'm almost certain it doesn't, but I'm not a DB expert.  Please take this to
> a ZODB list, as previously suggested.
>
> > If so how?  If not what does it support exactly?
>
> I pointed you to Jeremy's relevant blog entry last time...

Reading the blog it seems you are right.  I wish zodb would be
a bit more careful in its claims.  When you say "zodb supports
the ACID properties of transactions" this has a precise meaning
which vanishes when you redefine all the letters.  In particular
it suggests that zodb would be good for something like an
accounting or banking application which would require strict
transaction isolation (serializability).  The looser definition
could lead to fairly unpleasant difficulties (law suits, jail time...).
Sorry, had to complete my thought on clp.

   -- Aaron Watters
===
so you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
for the times, they are a-changing.   --Dylan