I support PEP 326

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Tue Jan 27 17:40:39 EST 2004

> I'm also in support of this PEP, and have cases in which I would use
> the new singletons.
>
> The biggest reason I believe the PEP should be accepted is that you
> simply *can't* "roll your own" in a heterogenous environment.  If I
> have my Min/Max objects and you have your Min/Max objects, someone's
> objects simply aren't going to work as expected.
>
> I'm in favor of Minimum and Maximum, though, if only for ease in
> discussing Python: the capital isn't obvious both verbally or at the
> beginning of a properly written sentence.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the PEP may be killed because there
doesn't seem to be a location/name that is agreeable to those with
voting power in python-dev.

A new module included into the standard library seems to be the easiest
way to get it into Python.  However, considering that you cannot
guarantee that the Max/Min will get their __cmp__ method called (when
comparing against user-defined classes), you cannot guarantee the ordering.

If it were to get special treatment, by including it as a pseudo-builtin
(always in Python, but doesn't have a name in __builtin__), it is a 5
line modification to PyObject_Compare in object.c to guarantee the
orderings with Max/Min:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-January/042275.html

That email also makes a case for min() and max() returning the minimum
and maximum object respectively, whose string representations would be
'min()' and 'max()' respectively.  It would result in the overloading of
the min and max functions, but there is no general consensus in
python-dev; some people like it due to its similarity to using int(),
list(), dict(), float(), str(), long(), etc., but others (including
Guido himself) think that min() and max() /should/ produce TypeErrors.

I'm thinking that maybe it should produce a warning for a release or two
(that it used to produce a TypeError, unless 'from future import
extremes' is at the beginning of a script), but in Python 2.5 or 2.6
remove the warning.

Yeah.  If someone has a strong opinion either way, perhaps you should
comment in python-dev.  If anyone has a better name/location suggestion,
(that is not listed as an option in the current or previous versions in CVS:
http://python.org/peps/pep-0326.html
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/python/python/nondist/peps/pep-0326.txt?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.2
), you suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Thank you,
  - Josiah