ProtoCiv: porting Freeciv to Python CANNED

G.I.L not at all.com
Thu Jan 15 06:25:17 EST 2004

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> "G.I.L" <not at all.com> wrote in message
> news:40051cb3$1 at news.012.net.il...
>> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>>> "G.I.L" <not at all.com> wrote in message
>>> news:40047290$1 at news.012.net.il...
>>>
>>> Why, because I turned around a project in 3 weeks while having the
>>> flu half the time?
>>
>> No, because you dumped the project because it was boring.
>
> You're a fool then.  What's your school of advice, keep working on
> things no matter how much of a boring waste of time they become?

No, you should evaluate the gain/loss ratio on every project you consider
working on. You seemed to give it all justifications before starting to work
on it, and can it completely after a very short amount of time. Either you
haven't gone deep enough, and you haven't discovered the interesting bits,
or you're a very shallow professional to have missed the boring parts of the
project. What would your advice be? Start wasting time and money on things
and can them if they appear to be boring? How about minimizing the loss by
completing something which would give you something in return, such as a
non-crashing port?

>> This may kill any credit you may have had with people.
>
> Getting "credit" was a goal?  News to me.

It's you who wanted to give advice to other people. Do you really believe
anyone would follow your advice after THIS???

>>> You try to do something big, you put your money on the line to do
>>> it, you fail or don't entirely succeed, you give postmortem, you
>>> lay all your cards out for others to examine... *then* I will worry
>>> about your opinion.
>>
>> You state that you will follow only those who fail after putting
>> their own money on projects?
>
> Read it again, and put up or shut up.  If you don't have the balls to
> allow postmortems of your *own* projects, don't expect me to care
> about your flak.

Wow, you do have a thick skin, dontcha? How about listening to advice from
others for a change? Is it just possible that you're trying to discovering
the right trail on the wrong road?

Ok, I'll bite. I just invested 0$ on a 3D shooter. I started working on it,
and the math was too hard. I gave up after 5 minutes. Do I qualify?