help with Python Environment For Blind User

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Jan 11 09:14:55 EST 2004

"Zachary" <vzd1s1fs at verizon.net> writes:

> I'm a blind non-programmer trying to learn Python.
> I've got python 2.3 for windows, but the problem is that Idle doesn't seem
> to work two well with my screen reading program.
> Is notepad, then, my only other real choice?  Pythonwin worked similarly
> badly.
> The problem is my programs inability to track the cursor.  It doesn't tell
> me what line I'm on, where I am in that line, or what I just deleted.  It
> would do this in a normal editor.
> Any help with this would be appreciated.

There have been several threads on this in the past:

http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=blind%20whitespace%20group%3Acomp.lang.python&safe=images&ie=ISO-8859-1&lr=&num=30&hl=en

Including one from T. V. Raman, author of emacspeak, revealing that
emacs / python-mode works for blind users (emacs is vi's enemy in the
endless emacs-vi editor war ;-).

Whichever editor you choose (toss a coin), be prepared for a struggle:
editors like vi and emacs are an *entirely* different species to
something like notepad.  It's certainly worth it in the end.

John