wxwindows question

Nuff Said nuffsaid at phreaker.net
Tue Jan 13 18:55:15 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:31:33 -0600, Jason Tesser wrote:

> I am looking into using wxwindows for a gui to develop applications.
> The
> Apps need to be cross-platform Mac, Windows, Linux. I work
> For a bible college and will be developing applications ranging from
> online
> Registration to business office software.  My question is what is your
> guys
> Experiences with wxwindows/python?

wxpython is fine (actually: *very fine* :-) for Windows
applications, but I would not use it for cross-platform
development, because it is not stable enough on Linux.

(Even some of the widgets in the wxpython demo crash on Linux;
and if you use wxpython with Unicode support, the situation gets
even worse. This might change in the near future, but right now,
wxpython is not stable enough on Linux IMHO.)

For things like 'online registrations' etc., I would write a
web based application (using one of the many web application
frameworks which are available for Python or maybe just good
old CGIs written in Python).

Don't really know what you mean by 'business office software',
but it sounds like you need a powerful text widget and maybe a
good canvas widget. Check out Tkinter (Python bindings for Tcl/Tk)
for that. (Though Tkinter does not provide widgets like a notebook,
print preview resp. a printing system etc. as wxpython does.)

GTK (i.e. PyGTK for Python) might be worth a look if you plan to
use other programming languages apart from Python, too.

HTH / Nuff